11 Year Old Scout Overview:
As an LDS Scout leader, your role is to help each young man to accomplish the Purposes of the Primary. We do this through helping each boy:
- Develop Christ-like attributes (found in the Scout Law and Scout Oath)
- Develop leadership skills (which will help them in their families, mission, school, work, and future callings)
- Learn to rely on the Lord (through prayer and accomplishing hard things, such as hikes & camping)
- Learn to love serving others and Community service (central to Priesthood and Scouting)
- Become independent and gain confidence in their ability to do hard things, including Choosing the Right
- Become Physically Fit, Mentally Awake, and Morally Straight
- Develop skills that will help them succeed
- Strengthen each other through brotherhood and friendships
This is best accomplished by getting trained (LEARN), seeking out best practices from other Scout Leaders, helping the boys do as much as possible (lead, plan, delegate, fail, and succeed) (ACT), and finding opportunities to share what you have learned with other leaders (SHARE). The Learn, Act, Share Model is central to the Duty to God Program in Aaronic Priesthood. As the boys are engaged and feel that it is their program, they will step up and take more ownership and initiative. As their leader, it is your responsibility to help encourage them, love them, be an example, and provide training and direction for your boys.
The Primary is an auxiliary to the priesthood. All auxiliaries exist to help Church members grow in their testimonies of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the restored gospel. Through the work of the auxiliaries, members receive instruction, encouragement, and support as they strive to live according to gospel principles.
11.1 Theme and Purposes of Primary
Primary is for children ages 18 months through 11 years. The Primary theme is “All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children” (3 Nephi 22:13). The purposes of Primary are to help children:
1. Feel Heavenly Father’s love for them.
2. Learn and understand the gospel of Jesus Christ.
3. Feel and recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost.
4. Prepare to make and keep sacred covenants.
Parents have the first responsibility for the spiritual and physical welfare of their children (see D&C 68:25–28). The bishopric, Primary leaders, and Primary teachers support but do not replace parents in this responsibility.
Scoutbook – is a great tool to help track advancement, attendance, rosters, and communicate with families. It is a tool of the BSA (Boy Scouts of America).
Faith in God & Religious Square Knot – is part of Primary, but also helps each Cub Scout in their Advancement. Each boy can earn thier Scouting Religious Square Knot by completing all of the requirements in the Faith in God book that have a square knot next to them.
Annual Planning (1 Year of Tradition) – 1 Year Sample (Link)
- Camping: 3 Overnighters + Father & Sons (Ward Event)
- Youth Leadership Training (ILST)
- Scouting Leadership (EDGE Method Story)
- 11 Year Old Day Camp (Advancement Days)
- Fundraising: Camp Card or Other
- Merit Badges (First Aid + Fun Electives)
- Skills (Swimming, Orienteering, Pioneering, Camping, Hiking, Cooking, Service, US Flag, Signaling, Fire, Knives, Campfire, Skits, Leadership, Songs)
- Uniform Inspection
- Patrol Method / Flag Creation / Patrol Yell
- Scoutmaster Conferences
- Courts of Honor (Quarterly)
- Hikes / Day Activities (Mt Baden Powell, Mt Baldy, Operation On-Target, Beach, Etc)
- Sample Calendar
- Trail to 1st Class Videos (BSA) – (Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class)
- Scoutbook: Advancement Tracking, Communications (Email / SMS-TXT), Calendar, Camping & Leadership Tracking
- See Resources
Confidence (comes from experience)+ Competence (comes from Training) + Annual Plan + Action = Success
Ways to get Confidence – Do it!, Help Others, Wood Badge Training, Roundtable, Practice, Other Units (Help Out)
Ways to get Competence – Get Trained – Basic & Advanced, Practice, + Get Experience
Annual Plan – Find One, then Build One/Modify One
Action – Just Do It! Prayer & Inner Power to Make things Happen, Magnify Calling, Make the Decision to strive for Excellence & Be Great